Pages

Friday, September 18, 2015

'a little pencil draw-ma and a little painting draw-ma' by myra anderson painter of the fashion sketch...



project runway was very interesting last night.  It was interesting to hear one of the designers say that he was not putting forth his best effort...but was waiting more towards the end of the competition to do so.  He claimed that he was doing this so as not to peak to soon...and fizzle out before the end.  Well, after a lot of procrastination during the challenge - he was almost sent home! Alls I can say is that I don't know about his strategy...it proved to be a little questionable and a lot risky!  I think this is why one of the more imaginative designers went home last week!

A blast from the past Marguerite Stuber Pearson (below) paints a nice gown and interior!  Above is my little practice paper and a little painting where I did my best to paint a bodice.  I want to paint folds like Marguerite!

6 comments:

Lisabella Russo said...

What wonderful art! An interesting strategy that didn't really work out for him...

robertsloan2art said...

Love your fashion sketches and their elegant lines. Thanks for postng Marguerite's painting too. Love those folds in the lady's skirt, I see why you're so inspired!

My suggestion, find a piece of counterwoven taffeta, pink-blue or green-gold or red-black, any combination of colors. Then shake it out and set it up with different folds as a backdrop for a still life. Paint the drapery true with a bright directional light. Marguerite captured both daylight and warm reflections from the room in the fabric giving it a lovely sheen. Gets really entertaining to try a white satin drapery with a bright daylit window on one side and warm incandescent lamp on the other.

Or wear a bright orange shirt and paint by daylight close to the drapery, it'll tint with reflected light and give that kind of hue dance along with value.

Linda Kunsman said...

I don't watch the show but hear much about it. the portrait is so beautiful and I love your drawings too! I imagine it must be very difficult to find a strategy that will keep one on a competitive show. Happy PPF!

DVArtist said...

I agree it seemed that Swapmill or however you spell his name was more interested in smoking that design. Can't wait for next week. I do love your sketches.
Nicole/Beadwright

Gloria j Zucaro said...

I only have seen a snippet of a recent show where the losing team was rather critical of one other member especially. Designers acting badly! But I love the fine art painting you show us today and the bodice you have done. very pretty! I wish you luck in your designing through art endeavors.

Beth Niquette said...

You are so creative. I love what you accomplished in this drawing.